- Census metropolitan areas and census agglomerations crossing provincial boundaries
There is one census metropolitan area (Ottawa - Gatineau) and three census agglomerations (Campbellton, Hawkesbury and Lloydminster) that cross provincial boundaries. The data for their respective provincial parts are included with the appropriate census metropolitan area or census agglomeration, with data for the census metropolitan area or census agglomeration within the province of the provincial part that contributes the majority of the population to the area. For example, Ottawa - Gatineau can be found in Ontario, Campbellton in New Brunswick, Hawkesbury in Ontario and Lloydminster in Alberta.
- TOTAL - HIGHEST CERTIFICATE, DIPLOMA OR DEGREE
'Highest certificate, diploma or degree' refers to the highest certificate, diploma or degree completed based on a hierarchy which is generally related to the amount of time spent 'in-class.' For postsecondary completers, a university education is considered to be a higher level of schooling than a college education, while a college education is considered to be a higher level of education than in the trades. Although some trades requirements may take as long or longer to complete than a given college or university program, the majority of time is spent in on-the-job paid training and less time is spent in the classroom.
- HIGH SCHOOL CERTIFICATE OR EQUIVALENT
'High school certificate or equivalent' refers to graduation from a secondary school or equivalent. Excludes persons with a postsecondary certificate, diploma or degree. Examples of postsecondary institutions include community colleges, institutes of technology, CEGEPs, private trade schools, private business colleges, schools of nursing and universities.
- COLLEGE, CEGEP OR OTHER NON-UNIVERSITY CERTIFICATE OR DIPLOMA
'College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma' replaces the category 'Other non-university certificate or diploma' in previous censuses. This category includes accreditation by non-degree-granting institutions such as community colleges, CEGEPs, private business colleges and technical institutes.
Data quality note(s)
- Data quality index showing, for the short census questionnaire (100% data), a global non response rate higher than or equal to 5% but lower than 10%.
- Data quality index showing, for the long census questionnaire (20% sample data), a global non response rate higher than or equal to 5% but lower than 10%.