2006 Census Topic-based tabulations
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Topic-based tabulation: Legal Marital Status (6), Common-law Status (3), Age Groups (17) and Sex (3) for the Population 15 Years and Over of Census Metropolitan Areas, Tracted Census Agglomerations and Census Tracts, 2006 Census - 100% Data
About this tabulation
|Release date:||February 19, 2008|
Note: Population universe
The population universe of the 2006 Census includes the following groups:
- Canadian citizens (by birth or by naturalization) and landed immigrants with a usual place of residence in Canada;
- Canadian citizens (by birth or by naturalization) and landed immigrants who are abroad, either on a military base or attached to a diplomatic mission;
- Canadian citizens (by birth or by naturalization) and landed immigrants at sea or in port aboard merchant vessels under Canadian registry;
- persons with a usual place of residence in Canada who are claiming refugee status and members of their families living with them;
- persons with a usual place of residence in Canada who hold Study Permits and members of their families living with them;
- persons with a usual place of residence in Canada who hold Work Permits and members of their families living with them.
For census purposes, the last three groups in this list are referred to as 'non-permanent residents'. For further information, refer to the variable Immigration: Non-permanent resident found in the 2006 Census Dictionary, catalogue number 92-566-XWE or 92-566-XPE.
|Legal marital status (6)||Common-law status (3)|
|Total - Common-law status||Not in a common-law relationship||In a common-law relationship|
|Total - Legal marital status||151,835||139,955||11,875|
|Never legally married (single)||54,400||45,870||8,530|
|Legally married (and not separated)Footnote 1||74,245||74,250||0|
|Separated, but still legally married||4,050||3,600||455|
- Footnote 1
In 2006, this category includes spouses in same-sex marriages.
Source: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census of Population, Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 97-552-XCB2006006.
Download data as displayed in the Data table tab
Download entire table
- IVT (Beyond 20/20) file Footnote c
10.58 MB (11,096,599 bytes)
- XML (SDMX - Statistical Data and Metadata eXchange) file Footnote d
20.18 MB (21,157,366 bytes)
- Footnote a
To access the comma separated values (CSV) file, use the conversion features available in most spreadsheet software, or use a free viewer, for example csview.
- Footnote b
To access the tab separated values (TAB) file, use the conversion features available in most spreadsheet software, or use a free viewer, for example AscToTab.
- Footnote c
To access the Beyond 20/20 (IVT) version, you need the Beyond 20/20 Table Browser, which may be downloaded below. These links download files directly from an external site and are not the responsibility of Statistics Canada.
Beyond 20/20 Browser for Windows operating systems (18.9 MB)
To install this product, run 'ProBrowser.exe'.
- Footnote d
XML (SDMX - ML) - Is a statistical data and metadata exchange standard for the electronic exchange of statistical information. Two extensible mark-up language (XML) files are provided in a compressed bundle.