Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census

Province of Alberta

Data quality

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Alberta, 2016 Census

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Alberta, 2016
Aboriginal identity Number Percent (%)
Total – Population by Aboriginal identity 3,978,145 100.0
Aboriginal identity 258,640 6.5
Single Aboriginal response 253,460 6.4
First Nations (North American Indian) single identity 136,585 3.4
First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian) 111,990 2.8
First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian) 24,595 0.6
Métis single identity 114,375 2.9
Inuk (Inuit) single identity 2,500 0.1
Multiple Aboriginal identities 2,905 0.1
Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere 2,275 0.1
Non-Aboriginal identity 3,719,505 93.5
  • In 2016, there were 258,640 Aboriginal people in Alberta, making up 6.5% of the population.
  • The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Alberta, 52.8% (136,585) were First Nations people, 44.2% (114,375) were Métis, and 1.0% (2,500) were Inuit.
  • Within the First Nations population, 82.0% (111,990) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 18.0% (24,595) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
  • In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 2,905 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 2,275 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.

Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.1 description Long description for Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.2 description Long description for Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Alberta, 2016

In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.

Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 29.1% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 18.7% of the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age of the Aboriginal population in Alberta was 29.8 years, compared with 37.8 years for the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age was 28.1 years for First Nations people; it was 31.8 years for Métis; and it was 28.5 years for Inuit.

Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.3 description Long description for Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.4 Top #AB_IDENT_TOPCMAs_PROV.recordcount# Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations by Aboriginal identity, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.4 description Long description for Figure 1.4 Top #AB_IDENT_TOPCMAs_PROV.recordcount# Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations by Aboriginal identity, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.5 description Long description for Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.6 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Alberta, 2016

Figure 1.6 description Long description for Figure 1.6 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Alberta, 2016

Symbols:

···
not applicable
··
incompletely enumerated Indian reserve or Indian settlement
r
revised
E
use with caution

Source:

Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.

Report a problem on this page

Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?

Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.

Privacy notice

Date modified: