Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census

Nunavut

Data quality

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Nunavut, 2016 Census

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Nunavut, 2016
Aboriginal identity Number Percent (%)
Total – Population by Aboriginal identity 35,580 100.0
Aboriginal identity 30,550 85.9
Single Aboriginal response 30,490 85.7
First Nations (North American Indian) single identity 190 0.5
First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian) 110 0.3
First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian) 80 0.2
Métis single identity 165 0.5
Inuk (Inuit) single identity 30,140 84.7
Multiple Aboriginal identities 55 0.2
Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere 10 0.0
Non-Aboriginal identity 5,030 14.1
  • In 2016, there were 30,550 Aboriginal people in Nunavut, making up 85.9% of the population.
  • The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Nunavut, 0.6% ( 190) were First Nations people, 0.5% ( 165) were Métis, and 98.7% (30,140) were Inuit.
  • Within the First Nations population, 57.9% ( 110) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 42.1% ( 80) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
  • In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 55 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 10 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.

Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.1 description Long description for Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.2 description Long description for Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Nunavut, 2016

In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.

Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 36.0% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 12.9% of the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age of the Aboriginal population in Nunavut was 25.8 years, compared with 38.1 years for the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age was 34.2 years for First Nations people; it was 36.5 years for Métis; and it was 25.7 years for Inuit.

Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.3 description Long description for Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.5 description Long description for Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.6 Top 6 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Nunavut, 2016

Figure 1.6 description Long description for Figure 1.6 Top 6 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Nunavut, 2016

Symbols:

···
not applicable
··
incompletely enumerated Indian reserve or Indian settlement
r
revised
E
use with caution

Source:

Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.

Date modified: