Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census

Middlesex, County (CD) - Ontario

Data quality

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Middlesex, 2016 Census

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Middlesex, 2016
Aboriginal identity Number Percent (%)
Total – Population by Aboriginal identity 448,535 100.0
Aboriginal identity 11,145 2.5
Single Aboriginal response 10,760 2.4
First Nations (North American Indian) single identity 8,020 1.8
First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian) 4,840 1.1
First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian) 3,185 0.7
Métis single identity 2,650 0.6
Inuk (Inuit) single identity 90 0.0
Multiple Aboriginal identities 90 0.0
Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere 290 0.1
Non-Aboriginal identity 437,390 97.5
  • In 2016, there were 11,145 Aboriginal people in Middlesex, making up 2.5% of the population.
  • The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Middlesex, 72.0% (8,020) were First Nations people, 23.8% (2,650) were Métis, and 0.8% (90) were Inuit.
  • Within the First Nations population, 60.3% (4,840) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 39.7% (3,185) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
  • In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 90 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 290 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.

Figure 1.1 Aboriginal population as a proportion of the total population, Middlesex and higher-level geographies, 2016

Figure 1.1 description Long description for Figure 1.1 Aboriginal population as a proportion of the total population, Middlesex and higher-level geographies, 2016

In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.

Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 25.4% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 16.4% of the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age of the Aboriginal population in Middlesex was 31.6 years, compared with 40.4 years for the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age was 30.4 years for First Nations people; it was 34.5 years for Métis; and it was 38.3 years for Inuit.

Figure 1.2 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Middlesex, 2016

Figure 1.2 description Long description for Figure 1.2 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Middlesex, 2016

Figure 1.3 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Middlesex, 2016

Figure 1.3 description Long description for Figure 1.3 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Middlesex, 2016

Figure 1.4 Top 6 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Middlesex, 2016

Figure 1.4 description Long description for Figure 1.4 Top 6 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Middlesex, 2016

Symbols:

···
not applicable
··
incompletely enumerated Indian reserve or Indian settlement
r
revised
E
use with caution

Source:

Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.

Date modified: