Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census
Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Ottawa - Gatineau, 2016 Census
|Aboriginal identity||Number||Percent (%)|
|Total – Population by Aboriginal identity||1,300,730||100.0|
|Single Aboriginal response||36,225||2.8|
|First Nations (North American Indian) single identity||17,790||1.4|
|First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian)||6,835||0.5|
|First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian)||10,955||0.8|
|Métis single identity||17,150||1.3|
|Inuk (Inuit) single identity||1,280||0.1|
|Multiple Aboriginal identities||765||0.1|
|Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere||1,125||0.1|
- In 2016, there were 38,115 Aboriginal people in Ottawa - Gatineau, making up 2.9% of the population.
- The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Ottawa - Gatineau, 46.7% (17,790) were First Nations people, 45.0% (17,150) were Métis, and 3.4% (1,280) were Inuit.
- Within the First Nations population, 38.4% (6,835) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 61.6% (10,955) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
- In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 765 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 1,125 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.
Figure 1.1 Aboriginal population as a proportion of the total population, Ottawa - Gatineau and higher-level geographies, 2016
In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.
Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 19.4% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 17.4% of the non-Aboriginal population.
The average age of the Aboriginal population in Ottawa - Gatineau was 35.3 years, compared with 39.5 years for the non-Aboriginal population.
The average age was 34.7 years for First Nations people; it was 36.4 years for Métis; and it was 27.6 years for Inuit.
Figure 1.2 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Ottawa - Gatineau, 2016
Figure 1.3 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Ottawa - Gatineau, 2016
Figure 1.4 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Ottawa - Gatineau, 2016
Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.