Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census
Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, London, 2016 Census
|Aboriginal identity||Number||Percent (%)|
|Total – Population by Aboriginal identity||378,040||100.0|
|Single Aboriginal response||9,395||2.5|
|First Nations (North American Indian) single identity||7,070||1.9|
|First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian)||4,190||1.1|
|First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian)||2,880||0.8|
|Métis single identity||2,245||0.6|
|Inuk (Inuit) single identity||80||0.0|
|Multiple Aboriginal identities||65||0.0|
|Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere||265||0.1|
- In 2016, there were 9,725 Aboriginal people in London, making up 2.6% of the population.
- The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in London, 72.7% (7,070) were First Nations people, 23.1% (2,245) were Métis, and 0.8% (80) were Inuit.
- Within the First Nations population, 59.3% (4,190) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 40.7% (2,880) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
- In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 65 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 265 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.
Figure 1.1 Aboriginal population as a proportion of the total population, London and higher-level geographies, 2016
In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.
Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 25.7% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 16.1% of the non-Aboriginal population.
The average age of the Aboriginal population in London was 30.9 years, compared with 40.3 years for the non-Aboriginal population.
The average age was 29.7 years for First Nations people; it was 34.2 years for Métis; and it was 38.1 years for Inuit.
Figure 1.2 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, London, 2016
Figure 1.3 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, London, 2016
Figure 1.4 Top 2 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, London, 2016
Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.
- Date modified: