Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census
Median income of households
- In 2015, the median total income of households in West Kelowna was $83,942, a change of 16.9% from $71,806 in 20051.
Figure 1.1 Distribution of households by household total income, West Kelowna and higher level geographies, 2015
Number and median total income of households, West Kelowna and its neighbouring census subdivisions, 2005 and 2015
|Geography||Number of households||Median total income of households|
|2006||2016||% change||2005||2015||% change|
|West Kelowna (District municipality)||10,205||12,440||21.9||71,806||83,942||16.9|
|Central Okanagan (Regional district electoral area)||...||1,520||...||...||85,504||...|
|Peachland (District municipality)||2,150||2,455||14.2||53,455||72,294||35.2|
|Central Okanagan J (Regional district electoral area)||...||900||...||...||66,912||...|
|Tsinstikeptum 9 (Indian reserve)||2,365||3,650||54.3||46,673||53,742||15.1|
|Tsinstikeptum 10 (Indian reserve)||...||570||...||...||77,227||...|
Figure 1.2 Median total income of households by household type, West Kelowna, 2005 and 2015
- In 2015, 3,205 persons or 10.0% were in low income, while in 2005, 9.6% of the persons in West Kelowna lived in low income2.
- The low-income rate for persons under 18 years of age was 13.9% compared to 8.9% for persons aged 18 to 64 and 9.1% for persons 65 and over in 2015.
- Persons living in lone-parent families had a higher rate of low income at 26.3%, while those living in couple families without children had a lower rate of 5.2%.
Figure 1.3 Percentage of persons in low income by five-year age groups, West Kelowna, 2015
Figure 1.4 Percentage of persons in low income, Canada, British Columbia, West Kelowna and its neighbouring census subdivisions, 2015
Figure 1.5 Percentage of persons in low income by census family type, #qCSD.OFFNAME# and higher level geographies, 2015
- In 2015, 68.4% of households in West Kelowna contributed to Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs), Registered Pension Plans (RPPs), or Tax-free Savings Accounts (TFSAs). In British Columbia, 64.2% of households contributed to an account while 65.2% of households contributed nationally.
Percentage of households contributing to RRSPs, RPPs or TFSAs, RRSPs, RPPs and TFSAs, West Kelowna, 2015
Median contribution amount
Income of couples
- In 30.7% of couples in West Kelowna, each partner had fairly equal incomes3 in 2015 while men had higher income in 54.6% of couples and women had higher income in the remaining 14.8% of couples.
- For Canada overall, each partner had fairly equal incomes in 32.0% of couples with men having the higher income in 50.7% of couples and women having higher income in 17.3% of couples.
Figure 1.7 Characteristics of couples' total income, West Kelowna and its neighbouring census subdivisions, 2015
- In 2015, the median total income of couples in West Kelowna was $92,812 compared to $87,688 for all couples in Canada.
- The median income of higher-income partners in 2015 was $63,688 and the median income of lower-income partners was $25,438.
Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.