Dictionary, Census of Population, 2016
Labour force status (based on 1971 concepts)
'Labour force status' refers to whether a person was employed, unemployed or not in the labour force during the week of Sunday May 1 to Saturday May 7, 2016, according to 1971 labour force status concepts.
Early enumeration was conducted in remote, isolated parts of the provinces and territories in February, March and April 2016. When enumeration has taken place before May 2016, the reference date used is the date on which the household was enumerated.
Person 15 years or over
2016 (25% sample); 2011Note 1 (30% sample); 2006, 2001, 1996, 1991, 1986 and 1981 (20% sample). For availability prior to 1981, please refer to Appendix 2.0.
Population aged 15 years and over in private households
Derived variable: Questions 30 to 35
The categories for the historical labour force status variable are:
- Employed - Absent in reference week - Armed Forces
- Employed - Absent in reference week - Civilian
- Employed - Unpaid family worker
- Employed - Paid - Armed Forces
- Employed - Paid - Civilian
- Not in labour force
- Unemployed - Looked for work - Experienced
- Unemployed - Looked for work - Inexperienced
- Unemployed - On temporary layoff
The population aged 15 years and over are classified according to 1971 labour force status concepts as follows:
- persons who worked in the reference week for pay or in self-employment
- persons with a job but who were not at work during the reference weekNote 2
- persons who worked in the reference week without pay in a family farm, business or professional practice.
- persons who looked for work in the reference week
- persons who were on temporary lay-off during the reference week
Not in the labour force
Persons aged 15 years and over who are not employed or unemployed are considered 'Not in the Labour Force.' According to 1971 labour force status concepts this category also includes:
- female farm labourers who did less than 20 hours of unpaid work in a family farm, business or professionnal practice;
- Institutional residents.Note 3
- Date modified: