Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census
- In 2016, 17.9% of adults aged 15 and over living in private dwellings lived alone, 61.0% lived in a couple and 4.7% lived as a lone parent.
- 79.2% of persons living in a couple were married in 2016, while 20.8% were living common law.
- In 2016, the proportion of young adults aged 20 to 34 living with at least one parent was 34.7% compared to 35.6% in 2011.
- In 2016, there were 140 same-sex couples.
- In 2016, among couple census families 68.1% were families without children and 31.9% were families with children.
Proportion of households by household type, Sunshine Coast, 2006 to 2016
|Household type||2006 (%)||2011 (%)||2016 (%)|
|One-census-family households without additional persons||63.5||61.1||58.4|
|A couple census family without children||34.5||35.2||35.7|
|A couple census family with children||22.2||18.6||16.2|
|A lone-parent census family||6.7||7.3||6.6|
|Other census-family households||2.5||4.0||3.6|
|Non-census-family households of two or more persons||2.8||3.4||3.4|
Marital status, Sunshine Coast, 2016
In Sunshine Coast, 61% of the total population aged 15 and over were either married (48.6%) or living with a common-law partner (12.4%).
The remaining 38.9% were not married and not living with a common-law partner, including those who were single (never-married), separated, divorced or widowed.
Note: Percentages may not total 100 percent due to random rounding.
Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.